Hi Andrew,

Andrew Norton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need my XML output to look like the following even if it isn't "valid".
>
>                     <mchoice>
>                                         <question>
>                                                             Some data
>                                         </question>
>                                         <answer Correct="Yes">
>                                                             Firewalking
>                                         </answer>
>                                         <answer Correct="No">
>                                                             IDLE scanning
>                                         </answer>
>                                         <answer Correct="No">
>                                                             Footprinting
>                                         </answer>
>                                         <answer Correct="No">
>                                                             Enumeration
>                                         </answer>
>                                         <feedbackonincorrect>
>                                                             Some data
>                                         </feedbackonincorrect>
>                     </mchoice>
>
> I've tried to insert a newline in my marshal method of the custom
> converter that handles this object.  I can't seem to get the desired
> solution. Any advice is very appreciated.

You cannot modify the format of the XML with a converter. That one handles
only "values". You can try with a derived PrettyPrintWriter:

====================== %< ====================
 class MyWriter extends PrettyPrintWriter {
   // ...
   protected void writeText(QuickWriter writer, String text) {
     endOfLine();
     super.writeText(writer, text);
     endOfLine();
   }
 }

 XStream xstream(new XppDriver() {
   public HierarchicalStreamWriter createWriter(Writer out) {
     return new MyWriter(out, getNameCoder());
   }
 });
 String xml = xstream.toXML(object);

> Thank you and Happy New Year!