Hiho Jörg,

The problem appears to be that xstream is (in contrast to the default serialization?) automatically trying to serialize parent classes as well... Even if they aren't serializable (I know that part is not a bug, but a feature ;)) Can I turn that off somehow? This is what breaks my xstream, because there are some objects referenced there that cannot be serialized using a standard ObjectOutputStream. And they shouldn't be in the xml in the first place, because they are (although not marked) transient. I really don't want to have to recheck my entire hierarchy for that.

Or should I really implement a serialization method for the parent? Parent data is stored during serialization, but I just moved that to the child classes (parent is abstract and most data in it not serialized anyway)...

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Robert.