Hey,
  using xstream 1.4.2 I've no "regex.Pattern" usage in the main XStream
classes
  (only on some extended converters..)
  So this works now !
  (My need was only to be able to searialize in JSON a basic PoJo tree).

  A little question:
      for "embedded users" like me (using J9 JVM); how could we make
possible to continue to use the latest xstream version ?
           maybe add an xstream improvment to migrate native "regex
Pattern" usage to a dedicated dependency like "jakarta-regexp"(available in
osgi 1.4) ?  I don't know..

anyway thanks again.

Regards