Yes.

And Patrick's experience is not unexpected.  There is, however, a huge
variation with different types of flash memory.  The software driving the
flash can also result in very different experience.  The experiences that
he alludes to are likely with a conventional SSD packaging of flash driven
via the normal block device emulator.  That can be substantially
sub-optimal, depending on which vendor and configuration you use.