For production settings with well-behaved applications, sharing is not a
bad idea.  I would definitely isolate development efforts onto a dev
instance of ZK.  And if you have trigger happy admins who think rebooting
fixes all ills, I would consider separating apps.

How is it that you wound up with your problem of being unable to manipulate
one thing without changing others?