On 3/7/2018 4:04 AM, Andor Molnar wrote:
I've quickly checked some of the major components that are heavy Zk clients:

Hadoop/HDFS = 1.8 required
HBase = 1.8 required
Kafka = 1.7 required (has some 1.8 and 1.9 bindings)
Hive = 1.8 required
Curator = 1.7 required (has 1.8-only async module to take advantage of Java
lambdas)
Solr  = 1.8

As always, your feedback is much appreciated.

I come from the Solr world.

Lucene/Solr started requiring Java 7 with the release of 4.8.0, announced on 2014-04-28.

Lucene/Solr started requiring Java 8 with the release of 6.0.0, announced on 2016-04-08.

The general reaction each time one of these major changes was discussed seemed to be "oh, finally!  it's about time!"  I get the strong sense that Lucene committers really want to use the new language features, and feel limited when they can't. Historically, there have been a few changes committed that failed to compile when the officially supported minimum JDK version was used.  The authors probably should have noticed the problem, but sometimes don't because they're using updated toolchains.

How do the committers on this project generally feel about needing to avoid using Java 8 features?  If they don't feel limited, there's probably no reason to update the requirement.  If however they feel that they could write better code with a refresh, then given general industry trends, it probably is time to consider updating the requirement.  Maybe you will want to accelerate plans for a 4.0 release, and update the requirement there.

Another piece of information to think about:  Oracle isn't providing public support/bugfixes for Java 7 any more.  To get support, Oracle must be paid.  Java 8 is going to reach that same milestone in January 2019, so within the next year or so, we are going to begin seeing a lot of projects updating to a minimum of Java 9.

Thanks,
Shawn