So it turned out that Solr failed parsing the 'conf' response from Zookeeper
since there was one line that did not conform to the key=value syntax:

quorumPort=2888
peerType=0
membership:
server.1=zoo1:2888:3888:participant;0.0.0.0:2181
server.2=zoo2:2888:3888:participant;0.0.0.0:2181
server.3=zoo3:2888:3888:participant;0.0.0.0:2181

The "membership: " line was the offender here. Can anyone shed some light on
the purpose of that line? Is it a header for what comes in the lines below or
is it a key with wrong delimiter (: instead of =)? and empty value?

We'll fix the parsing in Solr to disregard this line for now.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com