Matthew,
can you share some logs ?
That issue is quite generic, and it describes a case that usually works as
expected (= system works fine)

It is very common to bounce a server in a cluster of three, so there must
be a cause for your problem.
In a 3 nodes clusters usually you can continue working until up to 2
servers are up and running.

Enrico