Hi Kuldeep,

I just want to provide you some background info about our documentation.
The reason to upgrade to 3.4.6 first is to avoid the following error:

> 2013-01-30 11:32:10,663 [myid:2] - WARN [localhost/127.0.0.1:2784
:QuorumCnxManager@349] - Invalid server id: -65536

This error comes because of the protocol changes between ZooKeeper server
nodes during connection initiation for leader election. In ZooKeeper 3.5 a
protocol version was introduced (see ZOOKEEPER-107) and since that time the
fist long value sent in the initial message is not the server ID but the
protocol version (-65536). In ZooKeeper 3.4.6 we made the old 3.4
ZooKeepers backward compatible, so they are able to parse both the old and
the new protocol format (see ZOOKEEPER-1633). This issue happens only when
you need to use old (3.4.0 - 3.4.5) and new (3.5.0+) ZooKeeper servers
together in the same cluster. During a rolling upgrade, this is usually the
case to have old and new ZooKeepers present together.

The fact that you haven't seen any issues might be caused by the order of
the servers. In ZooKeeper the connection initiation between the servers
during the leader election follows a specific rule. As far as I remember
always the server with the larger ID 'wins the challenge', so it is
possible, that the old server didn't need to parse any initial message (if
it had the largest ID) and this is why you haven't seen the issue. Also
having 2 nodes up from the 3 nodes cluster still makes the cluster work (so
you should also check if all the servers are part of the quorum).

I agree with Enrico and Norbert, the safest and most stable way is upgrade
first to 3.4.latest, then go to 3.5.latest. Still, if you don't see that
you would hit this specific issue (e.g. no "Invalid server id" in the log
files), and all the three servers can handle traffic, then maybe you don't
need to upgrade first to 3.4.latest, it is your decision. Definitely you
should test it first, as suggested by the others.

Kind regards,
Mate