[backfilling some messages]

> James,
>
> I appreciate your help on this.
>
> To clarify, here's the gist of what I'm trying to accomplish:
>
> Essentially it is a worker farm that is controlled via a single master
> controller.  There are some Topics on which status information is
> published by the workers, and the controller can issue control
> commands.
>
> However the actual work tasks I currently have parceled out to the
> workers on Queues.  When a worker is brought online, it posts on the
> Status Topic that it's alive, and its name is "Worker1".  At that
> point the worker creates a Queue listener for "Worker1_Tasks", and the
> controller creates a "Worker1_Tasks" message producer.

Though it sounds like you're missing one of the main benefits of Queues -
which is namely to act as a load balancer. A queue can have many consumers
competing for messages - such that messages are load balanced across the
available workers so that each message is processed exactly once - so its
ideal for the parallel worker pattern.

So why not have a single queue "Workers" and let all the individual workers
compete on that queue, load balancing requests and dealing with failover of
workers?

--

James
-------