Yes , this is the only log4j.properties . There is no other log4j file
in web-inf/classes. I am not sure , if active mq is able to find it. The
application uses this file successfully , without any problems.

The broker is started by tomcat 5.5.20 as a servlet context listener.

The code for broker is as follows
public class ActiveMQBrokerStartListener implements
ServletContextListener {

        BrokerService broker = new BrokerService();

        public void contextInitialized(ServletContextEvent arg0) {
        try{
                System.out.println("Starting ActiveMQ Broker
Service...");
                //for the broker URI , do not have leading or trailing
spaces
                File dir = new File("../../activemq");
                dir.mkdir();
                broker.setDataDirectory(dir);

broker.addConnector("tcp://localhost:61616?trace=true&wireFormat.maxInac
tivityDuration=-1");
                broker.start();
                System.out.println("Active MQ Broker Started at local
host port 61616");
        }catch(Exception e){
                System.err.println(e.getMessage());
                e.printStackTrace();
                throw new RuntimeException(e);
        }
        }

        public void contextDestroyed(ServletContextEvent arg0) {
                try{
                        broker.stop();
                        System.out.println("Active MQ Broker Stopped at