I don't understand a basic element of ActiveMQ: how does the
connection factory reference the broker factory bean?

It doesn't. The ConnectionFactory is designed to communicate with a
usually remote broker

The examples I have seen define a broker factory bean B
and a connection factory F with a  "depends-on" (Spring)
dependency of F on B.

Thats to make sure the broker starts up first.

Since the connection factory must be obtaining a reference to
the broker factory, how does it get the reference?

So for VM transport there's a static registry indexed by broker name.
For other transports just use the tcp URI etc

--
James
-------