There is this link for vm transport as well
http://activemq.apache.org/vm-transport-reference.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Suchitha Koneru (sukoneru)
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2007 12:31 PM
To: users@activemq.apache.org
Subject: RE: Trying to get started: how do I configure Tomcat to run
ActiveMQ?

The approach which I used for starting active mq broker via Tomcat
server is  as follows

1) Include the connection factory for starting the active mq broker in
Tomcat/conf/context.xml as follows

      <Resource
                name="jms/ConnectionFactory"
                auth="Container"
                type="org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnectionFactory"
                description="JMS Connection Factory"
                factory="org.apache.activemq.jndi.JNDIReferenceFactory"

brokerURL="vm://localhost?brokerConfig=xbean:activemq.xml"

       />
Make sure that activemq.xml should be present in the classpath of
Tomcat.  You can also specify brokerConfig as
brokerConfig=xbean:file:./activemq.xml.

3)The active mq jars should be placed under (Tomcat/common/lib) of
Tomcat

4)The Queues/Topics can be defined under  Tomcat/conf/context.xml.
      <Resource name="jms/TopicOne"
                  auth="Container"
                  type="org.apache.activemq.command.ActiveMQTopic"
                  description="the topic against which the client back
end will publish and server back end would subscribe"

factory="org.apache.activemq.jndi.JNDIReferenceFactory"
                  physicalName="FOO1.BAR"/>

      <Resource name="jms/TopicTwo"
                  auth="Container"
                  type="org.apache.activemq.command.ActiveMQTopic"
                  description="the topic against which the server back
end will publish and client back end would subscribe"

factory="org.apache.activemq.jndi.JNDIReferenceFactory"
                  physicalName="FOO2.BAR"/>

5) The code for connecting to the broker is as follows

        Ictx = new javax.naming.InitialContext();
        envContext = (Context) Ictx.lookup("java:comp/env");
                TopicConnectionFactory  sampleconnectionFactory =

(TopicConnectionFactoryenvContext.lookup("jms/ConnectionFactory");

The broker is created and started when the first attempt to connect to
the broker is made.

Thanks,
Suchitha.