You can specify your own jdbc adapter class (see
http://activemq.apache.org/jdbc-support.html).
What I'd do is write a mysql adapter (extend the mysql one) and
override the locking statements. You can also rename the mysql adapter
for AMQ 5 (or svn revision 518161/518164) into
MySqlPropertLockingAdaptor (or whatever). Then you configure ActiveMQ
to use this Adapter (see link above) and it should work.. in theory :)

We do the same thing for a SQL-Server locking-problem that isn't fixed
until 5.0.

Mario