Our system is taking 6~7 seconds to pull a message off of a queue using a
simple selector (id = ?).  The queue has about 20,000 messages which are
fairly small.  I ran through a quick series of tests and this is what I came
up with.

** NO PERSISTENCE **
# of Messages    = 20,000
Avg time to Send = 64 ms  (per send)    // Using a message converter
Avg time to read = 16 ms   (per read)     // Read 500 messages of queue of
20,000 messages

** Default Journaling with Derby **
# of Messages    = 20,000
Avg time to Send = Took over 20 minutes for test.  Appox 1 min per message
Avg time to read = Aborted Test after 30 minutes.  Wasn't worth completing.

** Using Kaha Persistence **
# of Messages    = 20,000
Avg time to Send = ~ 500 ms  (per send)
Avg time to read =  ~ 1.2 seconds  (per read)

My question is why is the default persistence appear to be SO SLOW...
Especially compared to the Kaha persistence.

Is Derby the bottleneck with the default journaling?

If not what is the difference between the standard Journaling and Kaha?

Any guidance would be appreciated..

Thank you,

Darrell