Hmmmmm.....  I seem to have fixed the problem by merely moving the ActiveMQ
connection out of my consumer's constructor, and into a separate "start"
method.  Everything seems to be working properly now.  There don't appear to
be any variable lifecycle issues (like a local or argument being referenced
after it's goes out of scope).  And onMessage() should never have been
called before the constructor exited...

At any rate, I think I'll file it under "not looking the gift horse in the
mouth", and be happy it works.

thanks!