When I run bin/activemq what exactly is going on?

I supposed activemq would be a war that I would drop on tomcat and a bunch
of jars that I would incorporate into my IDE and then I could start writing
code.

I am reading http://activemq.apache.org/getting-started.html and from what I
can see, I have to run another process or server on my computer.

Is it possible to run this under tomcat so that I do not have another
server/process running on my machine?  How are people typically running
ActiveMQ in a production environment?

If there are docs that I can be pointed to on how to run under tomcat that
would be super great (if that is possible).

At a minimum knowing what bin/activemq is all about would be super great.

thanks