Yes, if you're using a pure JMS client you can use the http transport w/out
having to deal with REST or AJAX. For example, if you're using the JNDI, you
can place the following brokerURL in your jndi.properties file.

connection.httpConnectionFactory.brokerURL = http://host01:61616

>From your JMS client, you would then lookup the connection factory called,
'httpConnectionFactory'.

In the broker XML file, you'll have to setup a http transport as follows:

<transportConnector name="http"     uri="http://host01:61616"/>

The following jar files are required in the CLASSPATH for clients:

$ACTIVEMQ_HOME/activemq-all-<version>.jar
$ACTIVEMQ_HOME/lib/optional/commons-httpclient-<version>.jar
$ACTIVEMQ_HOME/lib/optional/xstream-<version>.jar
$ACTIVEMQ_HOME/lib/optional/xmlpull-<version>.jar

You'll have to use the keytool for setting up the https and ssl transports.

http://activemq.apache.org/how-do-i-use-ssl.html

http://activemq.apache.org/ssl-transport-reference.html

Joe
www.ttmsolutions.com