We are using ActiveMQ for parallel processing - Some of parallelism achieved
through JMS Listeners and some through multiple threads.

While running the application after some time - we were always getting "Out
of Memory" Error

On profiling we notice a high number of threads being spawned and not only
increasing with time.

We commented the code to "send" the message to queue and the thread count
became kind of steady. On further reading we discovered it is by design as
the transport is async as explained in this URL -
http://open.iona.com/wiki/display/ProdInfo/Understanding+the+Threads+Allocated+in+ActiveMQ
http://open.iona.com/wiki/display/ProdInfo/Understanding+the+Threads+Allocated+in+ActiveMQ

But this only works for vm protocol. The broker, in our case, would be
running as a separate instance. What is the best option to reduce the no of
threads.

We tried versions 5 and 5.1
thank you,
Mandira