The TransportConnector is used by the broker to listen for and accept
connection requests from clients and other brokers. When a connection is
initially established, the connection endpoints go through  a wireformat
negotiation phase. This is explained on this page.

http://activemq.apache.org/openwire-version-2-specification.html

In your case, I suspect that the broker has sent its wireformat info object
and is waiting for the other endpoint (peer) to respond, which it never does
within the alloted timeout. The default timeout value is 15 seconds (see
http://activemq.apache.org/maven/activemq-core/apidocs/org/apache/activemq/transport/WireFormatNegotiator.html

WireFormatNegotiator.htm ).

Do you see the problem with a lighter connection request load?

Joe