I think what you're seeing is normal. Here's what I am seeing when using the
following:

AMQ 5.1 on Windoze XP Pro using this very simple broker cfg.

<broker brokerName="broker0" xmlns="http://activemq.org/config/1.0";>
   <transportConnectors>
      <transportConnector name="openwire" uri="tcp://localhost:61616"/>
   </transportConnectors>
</broker>

After initial startup, the broker's heap usage settles down to approximately
2.1M and 19 live threads.

I create 10 topics; each Topic invokes 3 threads (Topic, Checkpoint, and
Advisory). So with 10 new topics, I have 30 new live threads.  Heap usage
spikes to 3.3M and settles at 3.0M.

Another 10 topics; 30 new live threads, heap usage spikes to 4.2 and settles
at around 3.9M.

Joe

Thanks Joe!

Is there any document describing how to tune ActiveMQ to be capable of
creating as many topics as needed?

basically after I create one session to the ActiveMQ and create 1750 topics,
I got the following thread information from Jconsole:
     Live Threads: 5300             Peak:5306
Daemon threads: 5292  Total started: 6424

Memory used: 170.521 kbytes

Is that normal?

Br,
Neowill