What is the best practice for using topic in medium to large cluster?

In the topologies document (http://activemq.apache.org/topologies.html) it
says:
"Multicast is great in development though often you might want to disable
this feature in production and have well known servers fixed on specific
machines. Often socket based communication (using pointcast) is much faster
& better for heavy-lifting - particularly on Java - so we tend to recommend
to use multicast mostly for discovery and use TCP / SSL for your heavy duty
messaging."

In a system where all the clients need to receive all the messages and some
of the messages can be really big (a few megabytes and maybe more)
1. shouldn't multicast be used? What about JGroups or JRMS?
2. Wouldn't it choke the network if I send all the messages to all the
clients in TCP?
3. Wouldn't it choke the network having well known servers fixed on specific
machines?
4. Does anyone have any experience with this use case?

Shimi