Hi,

I'm designing a system that will have a few central services and upward of
6000 processes on thousands of machines on a LAN. They all communicate using
ActiveMQ, with the central services having well-known queue names and the
distributed components having randomly-generated queue names. I recently
profiled the broker and found that every queue results in four threads (one
for the queue, one for checkpoint (?), and two for each of two related
topics (consumer and producer)). Additionally, every connection to the
broker results in two threads (dispatcher and transport). That means that
each of the 6000 distributed components will result in six threads, or
36,000 threads total in the broker. I don't know whether using a network of
brokers will allow me to reduce this to a reasonable number per process. I
also have to worry about the 6000 TCP connections to the broker, which could
also presumably be distributed across a network of brokers.

More generally, though, I'm concerned that ActiveMQ, and really JMS, was
never intended to support this many clients. Perhaps I should use JMS only
for communication amongst the central services, and all communication
to/from the distributed services should use a simpler RPC scheme.

Does anyone know if ActiveMQ can handle this many clients? What's the most
number of clients anyone has seen on ActiveMQ or JMS?

Thanks,

Lawrence