Thanks for the response, Steve!

Our broker is not public and the clients are all internal applications and
not internet users.

we intermittently altho frequently see this error when the client is trying
to publish a message. Our clients are both publishers and subscribers. For
every publish, the client creates a new connection, sends the message and
closes the connection. it receives  the message on a separate connection.

Our clients also do DB intensive operations in parallel (not on the ActiveMQ
thread) but in separate threads. If for some reason , the client is pegged
doing the DB operations could this cause the client to not respond in a
timely manner to the broker and as a result we see these timeout issues?

thanks again!
jaya