The problem is that activemq-admin gets configuration from
/etc/activemq.conf if it is available. Can you try putting your SUNJMX in
bin/activemq and see what happens?
As for the run.jar, you have to pass your JMX username and password with
--jmxuser and --jmxpassword switches.

Cheers
--
Dejan Bosanac