The index will grow up to a max number of bins - increasing that maximum will increase performance - e.g.

   <bean id="store"
class="org.apache.activemq.store.amq.AMQPersistenceAdapter">
<property name="directory" value="${activemq.base}/ data"/>
               <property name="maxFileLength" value="10000000"/>
               <property name="checkpointInterval" value="60000"/>
               <property name="cleanupInterval" value="30000"/>
               <property name="persistentIndex" value="true"/>
                <property name="indexMaxBinSize" value="131072"/>
       </bean>

cheers,

Rob

Rob Davies