Sending to a topic that has no subscribers won't by default hold the
message until someone subscribes.  You could use retroactive consumers,
or durable consumers to solve this, or switch to using a queue if that
would meet your needs.

You may want to read the JMS tutorial to get a feel for when to use each
solution.
http://java.sun.com/products/jms/tutorial/1_3_1-fcs/doc/copyright.html

regards
Tim.