On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 7:06 AM, Alex_ynr <suburbanc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Our application uses a network bridge between 2 instances of a 5.0.0.23
> build of ActiveMQ.
>
> One server is on the internet and the other is on a Local network behind a
> firewall. The one behind the firewall initiates the (duplex) connection to
> the outside server.
>
> 4 different queues are set up . On 3 of those, we have the part of our app
> on the intranet server publishing and these are consumed by a different part
> of the app on the outside server. The other queue works the other way
> around. This queue is also the "critical" one in terms of time for messages
> to move from one server to the other.
>
> Our problem is the following. When a message is published to the outside
> server and the bridge dies (network disconnection, the local network is
> connected to the internet over an adsl line) before the message has reached
> the other side, although the bridge reconnects instantly, the message takes
> WAY too long to be consumed on the local server.
>
> The traffic is very small (10-20 x 2-3kb messages an hour).
>
> For example:
>
> If a message gets published at 12:00 and the disconnection occurs and by
> 12:01 it is reconnected, that message might not be consumed until 12:15.
> Even though other messages published AFTER the reconnection (say 12:02) will
> be consumed almost instantly.
>
> Any ideas?

This is a complete guess at this point, but it sounds like the sockets
are taking a while to timeout and reset. To look a bit deeper at the
issue, while the broker is hanging, take a thread dump so that you can
see exactly where the broker is hanging.

The thread dumps should help to confirm it, but if this guess is
correct, there were a couple of bug fixes for this issue that were
included in ActiveMQ 5.1 and 5.2:

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print