On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 2:58 PM, ronchalant <ronchal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to embed an ActiveMQ broker into an application so that when the
> application starts, the broker starts.  This broker would be part of a chain
> of brokers in a store-forward architecture*, and these brokers may go
> up/down.  What I need to be able to do is that as brokers are added or
> removed from a system, other brokers recognize this.  All consumers would be
> local; this is intended to be used to distribute tasks among different
> instances of the application.
>
> Are there samples anywhere of this sort of thing, starting the ActiveMQ
> Brokers dynamically within code, and tearing them down within code as well?
> Ideally, in a controlled teardown, I'd like to forward all messages to other
> brokers if any are available manually (though this isn't critical, because
> if the node comes back up it should just pick those messages up under
> store-forward, correct?)

There are JUnit tests throughout the code base that demonstrate how to
do this. Here's some info on some ways to embed a broker:

http://activemq.apache.org/how-do-i-embed-a-broker-inside-a-connection.html

> I apologize if I'm missing the examples somewhere on the site, all I'm
> seeing is various ways to start/stop brokers, producers and consumers from
> the command line.
>
> *tentatively; a master/slave w/ KahaDB might be preferable if it was stable

Master/slave can be configured either using an activemq.xml and a
BrokerFactoryBean or it can be configured completely programmatically
using Java code. You'd just need to instantiate and configure the
correct Java classes for the persistence of your choice.

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print
unpack("u30","D0G)u8...@4vyy9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*"