After a week of fighting with it, no matter what was done, we could not get
it to work.
We created a simple test, creating 1000 producers sending one message to
1000 queues.
Each producer in its own thread.
This would fail to get connections intermittently.
Eventually we decided it was an operating system issue.

I tested it on windows with no modifications  and there is NO problem.

Just wondering what linux version you were using?
We use Centos 5.3 .

What is the best linux distro to use with activemq?
Also, are there ports we should not use for transport?