hi all

We have an application that receives a lot more messages than it sends. It
sends an appropriate response to every message that it receives, but never
initiates a 'conversation' (for lack of a better term)

Our problem is that we have very poor lines between the applications that
are running ActiveMQ, so the connection may go down completely, drop packets
etc etc...

What then happens is that the application initiating the conversation will
send a message to the appropriate queue, and the receiving app never picks
it up.

I was looking at the TransportListener class, which looks quite promising
with the onException,transportInterrupted() and transportResumed() methods,
but when i pull out my network cable no error is thrown or methods entered.
My presumption is that these will only be entered/thrown if the application
is sending a message.

I also tried getting the TransportChannel and then using the isConnected()
method on there, but when i pull my network cable out the method still
returns true.

I'm currently thinking of making the application attempt a reconnection
after a specified time of inactivity,
thus if the connection is down/not functioning then an exception can be
thrown and the problem managed from there.
However this seems like a fairly shoddy solution, and i'm hoping that
somebody is aware of a better way of checking that the connection is alive.

thanks
Tim