I really need help, I am struggling to create queues and topics in ActiveMQ
and have them accessible from JNDI lookups. I need this
creation/registration to be done without bringing the server down, and done
without manual configuration.

Something like:

//create the jndi context
InitialContext jndiContext = new InitialContext(loadConnectionProps());

// Create a ConnectionFactory
ConnectionFactory connectionFactory = (ConnectionFactory)
jndiContext.lookup(loadConnectionProps().getProperty(Context.OBJECT_FACTORIES));

// Create a Connection
Connection connection = connectionFactory.createConnection();

// Create a Session
Session session = connection.createSession(false, Session.AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE);

// Create the destination (Topic or Queue)
session.createQueue(qname);