5.3 seems like it is going to be a good release, but then we're not using a
cluster at this time so I don't know about any of those pains. I agree
though, the documentation in general seems to be fairly hit or miss, and
even when it is there it isn't always very informative.

The hang on shutdown for me is a pretty big pain in the butt, but for the
moment we can deal. Since that is really all we're using Spring for, in the
next couple of months I'm probably going to put together our own
programmatic library for some similar functionality, although probably a bit
more specific to our needs. Static number of consumers/threads which can be
added/removed as needed, but otherwise doesn't auto-scale the way DMLC can
be configured. The fun (aka painful) part is going to be the
auto-reconnection code, and then putting together a producer interface
somewhat similar to the JmsTemplate from Spring.

Know of anything more like that that is meant to be used programmatically
instead of configured via XML and what not?