Ok, I found this:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/Web+Console#WebConsole-ExampleconfigurationusingTomcat

This has a section describing a stand-alone web-console (with
a unique URI endpoint). I downloaded the 5.2.0 war and followed
the instructions (below). The restart of tomcat produced copious logs to
catalina.out from the web-console war startup, and tomcat got quite
confused and stopped responding...

Example configuration using Tomcat

To start web console in Tomcat 5.x use the following steps:

    * Download the appropriate activemq-web-console war
(http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/activemq/activemq-web-console/)
and copy it to ${TOMCAT_HOME}/webapps folder
    * Download the appropriate activemq-all jar
(http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/activemq/activemq-all/) and copy
it to ${TOMCAT_HOME}/common/lib folder
    * Modify your ${TOMCAT_HOME}/bin/catalina.sh (.bat if you use Windows)
and include the following configuration

JAVA_OPTS="-Dwebconsole.type=properties \
-Dwebconsole.jms.url=tcp://localhost:61616 \
-Dwebconsole.jmx.url=service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://localhost:1099/jmxrmi \
-Dwebconsole.jmx.role= \
-Dwebconsole.jmx.password="

    * Start your Tomcat and visit the appropriate URL (e.g.
http://localhost:8080/activemq-web-console-5.0.0/)

In theory this way of running the console will allow interaction with either
an
embedded broker or a stand-alone broker. if only I can get it to work!

--david