We are sort of in the same boat.

Transactions generally are not just used for redelivery purposes.  They also
are performance efficient as you can batch.

http://activemq.apache.org/should-i-use-transactions.html

What we are doing to avoid hang ups in clients on redeliveries is to use
ClientAcknowledgement and clone a message (placing it at the end of the
queue) before we Acknowledge it.  Our framework is sophisticated enough to
manage redeliveries in this way by adding some redeliveredCnt metadata to
the message each time it is cloned.