Hi Mitch,

I think the root cause of this problem is that you probably have Stomp
clients that open/close connection at a high rate. I simulated this problem
on OSX with a StompLoadTest (
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/activemq/trunk/activemq-core/src/test/java/org/apache/activemq/transport/stomp/StompLoadTest.java?view=log),
while trying to reproduce "too many open files" problem. You can find some
of my findings (and workaround) in this thread.

http://www.nabble.com/%22too-many-open-files%22-error-with-5.3-and-Stomp-tt25888831.html#a26010080

(BTW. it is producing "too many open files" problem on linux) Basically, the
problem with stomp is that every send is done in separate connection and
thus considered to be a new producer for every message. So when producer
flow control is hit, the producers are piling up and probably not releasing
connections. Thus you can observe large number of tcp connections on the
system in state TIME_WAIT (and TIME_CLOSE), which causes that the system
limit is hit at one point. In the above thread, you can find a workaround
that worked for me for that test. I started investigating this more and
hopefully I'll have some more findings in the near future.

Cheers

Blog - http://www.nighttale.net