I'm trying to determine my options for clustering my AMQ 5.3 application that
uses ServiceMix 3.3.1 and Camel 2.1.  I'm performing high volume message
processing and I need to cluster for high availability and horizontal
scalability.

Here is basically what my application does (using Apache
Camel)...HTTP->QUEUE->PROCESS->DATABASE->TOPIC

So, I've read all the ActiveMQ and ServiceMix clustering pages, but am still
not sure what to do.

I know I can use a Master/Slave setup for HA, but that doesn't help with
scalability.

I've read about network of brokers, but am not sure how this applies to my
application.  For example, if I deploy identical Camel components on
multiple nodes in a cluster, how will the nodes "interact" exactly?  If I
point my HTTP producer at one node (NodeA), which messages will get sent to
NodeB?  Will the queues/topics be shared between Node A/B...if so how, are
messages split or duplicated?  Also, how would an external client subscribe
to my "outboundTopic" exactly (and get all messages, etc)?

Alternatively, I've been thinking that I should just share a single AMQ
broker between multiple ServiceMix instances.  That would be cleaner in that
there would only be one set of queues/topics to manage and I could scale by
adding more instances.  But, now I'm limited to the vertical scalability of
a single broker and I'm back to a single point of failure...

If anyone can clarify the trade-offs for me...I'd appreciate it.

Also, I posted this on the Camel forum as well...not sure where it best fits

http://old.nabble.com/clustering-Camel-with-AMQ-ServiceMix-td27462441s22882.html

-----
Ben - Senior Consultant
using SMX 3.3.1/Camel 2.1