Thanks for the link, Dejan

We are not consuming messages via REST, but It appears sessions must be
maintained for producing messages as well.  I think the behavior I was
seeing is a new session was being created for every request, and presumably
a new connection, which was causing the heap to fill up.  After a little
digging in the source code, I discovered I could force it to use the same
session by sending a "?clientId=somevalue" parameter with the request and
just validated that solved the problem.

Thanks again for your help,
Dave Snyder