There a lots of configuration options that can help here. You can configure
the jdbc statements that are used for locking, see:
https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-2520?focusedCommentId=59152&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#action_59152or
provide your own lock implementation to override the default or
provide a
separate lock datasource so that it can reside in a different database.

There is currently no lock implementation that uses the file system but that
would be a nice enhancement. We would love the contribution or open an
enhancement for this.