Ok, now I figured out what I have to do.  Create the queue with whatever the
name is, but connect to the queue with the prefix "/queue/".

So, if I dynamically create a queue name "foobar", then I can pub/sub to it
just fine via openwire clients, but if I use a stomp client if I have to
specify it as "/queue/foobar".

I can see the code in
org.apache.activemq.transport.stomp.LegacyFrametranslator#convertDestination
=>

else if (name.startsWith("/queue/")) {
            String qName = name.substring("/queue/".length(),
name.length());
            return ActiveMQDestination.createDestination(qName,
ActiveMQDestination.QUEUE_TYPE);

So, on the way in, it strips the extra /queue/ -- I'm guessing it needs the
goofy string prefix in order to determine the ActiveMQDestination.QUEUE_TYPE