On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 1:50 PM, E White <ewh...@synapticfire.net> wrote:

> I could never reproduce this effectively in the office, but it happened again
> in production.
> Here is the thread dump from when this occurred.
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p28661085/sfire-amq-td.log sfire-amq-td.log

I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the thread dump. But with
thread dumps you need 3-5 of them that are spaced apart a bit so that
you can see some changes over a short period of time.

The inflight count is the number of messages sent to a given
consumer's session. The number of messages sent to a consumer is
directly affected by the prefetch size described here:

http://activemq.apache.org/what-is-the-prefetch-limit-for.html

How many consumers do you have on the topic? Are any of these
consumers possibly processing messages slowly? Do these consumers use
a prefetch size to limit the number of messages sent to them in a
given dispatch? This will cause the broker not to send so many
messages in a given dispatch to the consumer and can help slow
consumers.

To answer your question related to message expiration, setting the
timeToLive on a message will cause that message to expire after that
amount of time.

Another strategy is to use a message limit strategy or an eviction strategy:

http://activemq.apache.org/slow-consumer-handling.html

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print