On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Martin C. <mart...@gmx.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for the very fast answer.
>
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 8:48 PM, Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>    <systemUsage>
>>>      <systemUsage sendFailIfNoSpace="true">
>>>        <memoryUsage>
>>>          <memoryUsage limit="256 mb" />
>>>        </memoryUsage>
>>>      </systemUsage>
>>
>> The memoryUsage above should limit the entire broker to 256mb of
>> memory. I just tested this by lowering the memoryUsage limit to 15mb
>> and maxed that out pretty easily by flooding a queue with messages and
>> not consuming them very fast.
>
> Thanks for the verification, this is what I was hoping.
>
>> However, if you are sending non-persistent messages, then you need to
>> set the tempUsage element within the systemUsage element. The
>> tempUsage element  governs the amount of disk space that is allowed to
>> be used to hold non-persistent messages.
>
> Ok, I assumed that the tempUsage element might be necessary here as
> well. Do I have to include a <store> section in the <tempUsage>
> element or will it pick up the default message store if I don't.
> That's something I couldn't really find out from documentation.

The <tempUsage> element and the <storeUsage> elements are separate
from one another. See the default activemq.xml for an example.

If you are using the AMQ persistence or the KahaDB persistence, you
will need the <storeUsage> to specify how much disk space to use for
persistent messages. The producer flow control URL below provides the
full info.

>> I also notice above that you have disabled producer flow control. By
>> disabling this setting, you have disallowed the broker from slowing
>> down producers who may be flooding the broker.
>
> Using "sendFailIfNoSpace" (in systemUsage), I expected the producers
> will rather fail fast instead of blocking, as I can deal with failure
> on my producers more easily than with a "hung" producer.

Read up on producer flow control so that you understand the whole story:

http://activemq.apache.org/producer-flow-control.html

--
perl -e 'print
unpack("u30","D0G)u8...@4vyy9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*"