I doubt it, it already are text messages and both the correctly delivered and empty messages are TextMessage according to the client.

Arjen

On 25-8-2010 7:54, Antony Bowesman wrote:
I vaguely remember seeing something similar, not sure if it was over
XMPP or Stomp, but I was sending BytesMessages and the client got
nothing. I changed it to send TextMessage and all was OK.

Could this be your problem?