there is no parent child relationship with log4j configuration
resolution, to see how log4j finds its configuration, enable the
system property log4j.debug via the start script of jvm command line
using -Dlog4j.debug=true and it will output to stderr as it tries
various options. Typically it will resolve a file using the classpath.

some more detail in the docs for log4j:
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/manual.html#defaultInit

--
http://blog.garytully.com