Hello,

I saw AMQ-2891 passing by in the mail flood, and it reminded me of a feature
I'd like to see in activemq. I started to comment in the issue, but decided to
post to the dev list instead. https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-2891

This is not a comment on the actual issue, but a possible usability workaround.

As a administrator of activemq in production environments my experience is that
it is quite unnerving to watch the deep silence of activemq when restarting
after a fatal failure - especially when you have a huge message log of important
data. I know the cursor recovery is busy somewhere during startup but how can I
tell that it has started, is ok, and how much time it will take?

I think it makes sense to add some sort of progress indicator, as logging
output on the info level, during the recovery phase. Say by logging every 10 000
message recovered, and if that information is available also the total amount
that needs to be recovered.

Does that make sense?

--
Fredrik Jonson