I'm seeing what I think may be some problems with multiple broker instances and
AMQ 5.4.1.  I've checked the docs and haven't found much information on the new
scripts.  Before I open a Jira or investigate/submit a patch, I wanted to make
sure my assumptions aren't wrong.

First of all, I'm trying to create and run multiple instances as follows:

1) Create the instances:

$ cd /home/phil/apache-activemq-5.4.1

$ bin/activemq create broker1
$ bin/activemq setup ~/.activemqrc-instance-broker1
$ ln -s activemq bin/activemq-instance-broker1

$ bin/activemq create broker2
$ bin/activemq setup ~/.activemqrc-instance-broker2
$ ln -s activemq bin/activemq-instance-broker2

2) set unique ports for the instances in their conf/activemq.xml and
conf/jetty.xml files as shown below:

$ grep 16  broker[12]/conf/*.xml
broker1/conf/activemq.xml:            <transportConnector name="openwire"
uri="tcp://0.0.0.0:61616"/>
broker1/conf/jetty.xml:                    <property name="port" value="8161" />
broker2/conf/activemq.xml:            <transportConnector name="openwire"
uri="tcp://0.0.0.0:61626"/>
broker2/conf/jetty.xml:                    <property name="port" value="8162" />

When I try to start both brokers, I get a "Process with pid XXX is already
running" message.  This is due to the pid file being created in
$ACTIVEMQ_HOME/data rather than the instance's $ACTIVEMQ_BASE/data directory.

For now, my questions are:

1) Should $ACTIVEMQ_HOME point to the AMQ installation directory and
$ACTIVEMQ_BASE point to the specific instance directories?

2) What should be in the ~/.activemqrc-instance-<INSTANCENAME> files?  Should I
set the $ACTIVEMQ_BASE here?  I tried this but it didn't seem to work.

3) Should $ACTIVEMQ_HOME/bin/activemq-instance-<INSTANCENAME> simply be a
symbolic link to the ACTIVEMQ_HOME/bin/activemq script?

4) How should the instances be started?  Using the
bin/activemq-instance-<INSTANCENAME>?  Or using
<INSTANCENAME>/bin/<INSTANCENAME> (in my case, broker1/bin/broker1 if run from
$ACTIVEMQ_HOME)

Thanks,

Phil