Hi,

My AMQ clients get very slow or freeze up altogether after about 30 days of
ActiveMQ running.  I solve the problem (until about 30 days later) by
deleting the $ACTIVEMQ_HOME/data/kahadb directory and restarting ActiveMQ.

In looking for clues to this problem, I notice (before I delete the
directory and its contents) that the db-*.log files (where * is an
incrementing number) are all about 33MB in size but have a timestamp about
every 3 or 4 days in the early part of the 30 days, but gradually become
more frequent such that by nearly 30 days since an AMQ restart, there are
about 3 or 4 files per DAY.  I really have no idea if this is a cause to the
problem or a result of it.  Nor do I know what the purpose of these files
are as they are binary, not text files.

Here's another possible cause:  My client apps (subscribers) do not
acknowledge "topic" messages.  This is because I want messages to be keep
being redelivered any time the subscriber is restarted (so long as the
messages haven't expired).  But perhaps this is the cause of the exponential
frequency of log files and the slowdown after 30 days.

What can I try (without acknowledging messages) to keep AMQ from bogging
down my clients after 30 days and consuming an exponential amount of disk
space?

Mark