I use a nagios script to periodically publish a stomp message to a queue, and
then consume that message.  It doesn't provide anything more than "is ActiveMQ
up/down" (no additional statistical information), but it's been useful for us.
If there's interest, I can ask mgmt about open-sourcing it.

alex