I don't know about what active mq is increasing its memory but the GC behaviour
you are seeing for java is perfectly normal. Java performs multiple different
types of garbage collection. Generally it only performs quick basic GC cycles
which purge out only easily detected objecst (the small sawtooths on the
graph). Only when memory is getting overly full does it try more aggressive
(and time consuming) GC cycles - or when you press the button on console.

In term of memory usage there are probably a whole load of temporary short
lived objects which may accumulate over time even if there aren't any messages
being sent, things such as log records (even if they aren't written to disk),
keep alive messages, other housekeeping operations could all accumulate a
backlog of objects that the gc doesn't bother to spend much effort on trying to
tidy up until it needs to.

What I don't get is why you think you need help, are you actually experiencing
any actual problems?

Thomas

This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you have
received this message in error, please immediately notify the
postmas...@nds.com and delete it from your system as well as any copies. The
content of e-mails as well as traffic data may be monitored by NDS for
employment and security purposes. To protect the environment please do not
print this e-mail unless necessary.

NDS Limited. Registered Office: One London Road, Staines, Middlesex, TW18 4EX,
United Kingdom. A company registered in England and Wales. Registered no.
3080780. VAT no. GB 603 8808 40-00