I asked this on StackOverflow too but didn't many responses, so I
figured I'd try it here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6062807/nio-disadvantages-in-activemq

I've seen several optimization guides saying that one step is to enable
NIO because it uses fewer threads, and that seems like good advice. What
confuses me is that it's not the default, which implies to me that
there's some reason not to use it, but I can't seem to find *any*
reasons not to enable this. We're not having performance problems at the
moment, so I don't want to introduce more problems, but if there's no
downside, I might as well use this. So is there any reason not to use
the NIO transport?